UTF-8 Text to A2ps Style PostScript
DESCRIPTION: A2ps is as same as nothing for UTF-8, and other multibyte languages. Gnome-u2ps aims a better alternative powered by GNOME libraries.
FEATURES not in a2ps but in u2ps:
- UTF-8 text conversion to PostScript by libgnomeprint (>= 2.5.4 required)
- Legacy codeset support with -X option. ('iconv -l' to see the supported codeset)
- Appropriate font guessing from current locale
- Arabic bidirectional text support with libfribidi (>=0.10.4)
- Legacy codeset auto-detection of plain text
- EUC-JP, SJIS, ISO-2022-JP for Japanese(ja_JP.*)
- EUC-KR for Korean(ko_KR.*)
- Big5 for Traditional Chinese(zh_TW.*)
- GB18030 for Simplified Chinese(zh_CN.*)
- Big5 HKSCS for Hong Kong locale(zh_HK.*)
- Mail parse option --mail. Similar to a2ps -=mail .
- Base64 subject decode
- Codeset guessing from Content-Type header charset property.
- Circled digits support for iso-2022-jp.
- Text/Mail charset autodetection for Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese(BIG5, HKSCS-2001)
- Arabic support without external filters
- Correct MIME header decode for mail handling
- Strong iso-2022-jp-2004 support to cover glibc convert func failure and other iconv engine
- Ximian Evolution is known as an absolutely nothing in Japanese environment becase it crashes so frequently with Japanese mails. Gnome-u2ps handles them correctly, so it is supposed to be more internationalized than any Ximian products.
Note: Pdf file is converted from ps by ps2pdf in ghostscript. Libgnomeprint supports PDF output, so gnome-u2ps will support the direct PDF generation for the future, hopefully.
Check out gnome-u2ps module in GNOME CVS.
Yukihiro Nakai <nakai at gnome.gr.jp>